Tuesday 6 September 2011

Muna-riisi pasteija - Mummi's Finnish pasties


After getting my hands on my new Nordic Bakery cookbook, I decided I had to get my Finnish bake on! First stop: my grandmother's famous Finnish pasties. Her version of this recipe has mince and rice as the filling, however I was inspired by the Nordic Bakery cookbook to add egg instead of mince. I have to say I am slightly obsessed with homemade pastry lately, and the pastry in these little treats is divine! The following is my grandmother's recipe with a slight variation as inspired by the Nordic Bakery cookbook.
Ingredients:
250g plain flour
250g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
100ml very cold water

Filling:
1 cup short-grain rice, boiled (should be slightly sticky)
3 eggs, boiled and diced 
30g unsalted butter, melted
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 extra egg, lightly beaten, for glazing

Put flour and cubed butter into a mixing bowl, mix with your fingertips to make a breadcrumb consistency. Gradually add the water, mixing with a round-bladed knife until a dough forms. Wrap dough in clingwrap and leave to rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
To make the filling combine diced boiled eggs and cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 220oC. Roll pastry dough out on a lightly floured surface to about 3mm thickness. If the dough is sticky dust more flour on the surface. You may need to sprinkle more flour onto the dough to soften it and make it easier to roll. Using a 10cm diameter round cookie cutter make circles in the pastry. Add a tablespoon of filling into each circle, then fold the circle in half to make a semi-circle shape and pinch the edges to seal the pasties. Brush with beaten egg to glaze, then prick with a fork. Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.




Try stopping at one!

** Makes 16 pasties.

** My grandmother doubled her pastry portions which would make approx 32 pieces. Perfect for freezing and whipping out when company arrives. Simply defrost and pop into the oven until hot.




4 comments:

  1. Looks good, as always! I might just copy all of your recipes and start baking too! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy, these look delicious! I'm interested in trying your grandmother's recipe too. Is there anything I need to add to the mince?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go ahead Kaisla! You can critique my recipes, see if they are authentic enough. Mum just told me she has an old Finnish cookbook of Mummi's to give me, yay!! I'm so excited! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa they are very yum! For my grandmother's mince pasties you can use the pastry from my 'Joulutorttu' recipe(jam tarts) which has ricotta in it. Then for the filling fry 500g mince and 1 chopped onion, salt & pepper to taste. Then combine the mince mixture and rice for the filling. You could also use the pastry from these egg & rice pasties without the ricotta, very similar flavoured (just use 250g mince as this pastry portion is half the jam tarts one). Let me know how you go. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would REALLY love to hear your pretty thoughts. Since you're already here, why not leave me a comment?

Thank you for reading.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.