Tuesday 30 August 2011

Makaroonilaatikko - Traditional Finnish Macaroni Bake


As a kid Makaroonilaatikko was my ABSOLUTE favourite! My Mum used to whip up some beauties but this dish felt like home. I used to love the crunchy macaroni combined with tomato sauce, just delicious.
Makaroonilaatikko is a macaroni and mince based pasta bake. It is extremely simple, and when you read the ingredients you may wonder how on earth it can taste THAT good with so few items. Who knows, but I do know you will love it. I don't eat much (if any) meat these days so I made a wee section without mince just for me, although I do think the mince is an essential part of this dish. The egg and milk combination kind of binds the dish together, almost like a custard texture. Hard to explain, you will just have to try it!

Ingredients:
250g elbow pasta
250g mince
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion
1 cup milk
4 eggs
Breadcrumbs
3-4 knobs of butter
Salt & pepper

Method:
Brown mince in oil with diced onion. Boil pasta until ‘almost’ el dente. Drain pasta, then place half into the bottom of a casserole dish. Pour the mince and onion mixture over the pasta, then pour the remaining pasta on top.
Whisk eggs and milk together, add salt and pepper to taste and pour mixture evenly over the top of the pasta. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top and add a few knobs of butter. Bake in oven at 225oC until golden brown. You want it to be crunchy on top.

When eating, lashings of tomato sauce absolutely essential!

** You can add grated cheese on top if you like, I personally prefer it without but it can be added. These measurements make approx 5-6 small servings, increase the quantities of mince, pasta and milk to make a larger dish.

4 comments:

  1. I will be both thanking you and blaming you at the end of this week Peggy!

    Thanks for these delicious new recipes to try and pity about any additional kilos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s So I can impress my husband, how do I pronounce "Makaroonilaatikko"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm.
    Another one to try.
    Thank you.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Teresa and Shar, you know I love to share deliciousness! :)

    Teresa I am impressed you would like to know the correct pronounciation. The vowels are short vowels, so a is like the u in 'cup', o as in 'clock', i as in 'hit'. Double vowels are prolonged so aa is like the a sound in 'after' and oo is like the oo sound in wood. And the kk is also prolonged. So, maka-rooni-laatik-ko. Does that help? haha I need to do a recording. Oh and, most importantly, you have to roll your r!

    ReplyDelete

I would REALLY love to hear your pretty thoughts. Since you're already here, why not leave me a comment?

Thank you for reading.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.