Saturday 6 August 2011

Lentil, pumpkin & potato slow cooker curry

As part of my quest to 'enjoy' winter, I have jumped head first into the slow cooker revolution. I remember my Mum making slow cooker meals when we were kids. She would turn her crockpot on in the morning before she went to work and we'd come home to a house that smelled of comfort. I love to use my slow cooker on Sundays. I also love the left overs for Monday lunch (a small way to combat Mondayitis!).
  
The best vegetable curry ever!

{image borrowed from Nickers aka Masterchef of the Hills, includes chicken}

This recipe was adapted from The Australian Women’s Weekly Slow Cooker book. The original recipe adds chicken and cooks for 7 hours. I omit the chicken and add potatoes instead.
Ingredients:
2/3 cup dried brown lentils
2/3 cup dried red lentils
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 large brown onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2.5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 fresh long red chilli, chopped finely
3 cups vegetable stock
440g canned diced tomatoes
500g pumpkin, chopped coarsely
6 gourmet potatoes, chopped coarsely
270ml canned light coconut milk
150g baby spinach leaves
½ cup fresh coriander, chopped coarsely

Rinse lentils under cold water until the water runs clear; drain. Heat oil in a large frying pan and add onion, garlic and ginger. Stir until onion softens then add the spices and chilli; stir until fragrant. Add stock and bring to the boil.
Pour the stock mixture into a 4.5 litre slow cooker and add the undrained tomatoes, pumpkin, potatoes and lentils. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
With about 15 minutes remaining stir in coconut milk and cook for a further 15 minutes. Stir in spinach and coriander, and season to taste.
Serve with freshly steamed jasmine rice, chapatis and plain yogurt. YUM!
** Suitable to freeze prior to adding coconut milk.

2 comments:

  1. Ooo-errr!

    Way to win a vegetarian's heart!

    This one is a keeper!

    Thank you so much for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure Cherie.

    I've recently cut out meat from my diet so I am on a mission to explore as many amazing vege dishes as I possibly can!

    ReplyDelete

I would REALLY love to hear your pretty thoughts. Since you're already here, why not leave me a comment?

Thank you for reading.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.