Tuesday 13 September 2011

Korvapuusti - Traditional Finnish Cinnamon Buns


As I have recently discovered, traditional Finnish pulla dough can be used to make all sorts of various delectable treats. I have indulged in making Korvapuusti on numerous occasions, which is essentially the pulla dough with cinnamon added. In our family the original Korvapuusti shape wound up into a scroll instead, like this. This weekend I decided to try out the traditional Korvapuusti shape like my Mum used to make in my much younger days. This pulla dough is the same recipe as my previous post.

Ingredients:
500ml warm milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
150g sugar
1tsp cardamom
1tsp salt
900g plain flour
6tsp dry yeast
200g melted butter
Cinnamon, sugar and margarine to smother over the dough
1 extra egg (to brush on top)
2 tbs milk (to brush on top)


Mix warm milk, 2 eggs, sugar, salt and cardamom together in a bowl until the sugar has melted.  In a separate bowl mix the flour and yeast together.  Using your hands start adding a little of the flour and yeast mixture by kneading it through the milk mix.  Keep adding the flour a little by little until the dough comes off your hand (don’t worry if you have not used all the flour).  Add slightly cooled, melted butter and keep kneading until it is all absorbed into the mix.  If the dough is too moist and sticks to your hand, add a little more flour.  Once the dough has formed into a workable state, roll onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Mind the shoulder. The dough should take on a flexible texture. ** Mum's tip: the softer the dough, the softer the pulla. Then, place dough back into the bowl and cover with a tea towel and let it rise to double its size in a warm place, away from draft, for about 1 hour.

Once risen, pour the dough onto a floured surface. Knead a little to get the air out. Cut into 3 portions, roll out the first portion into a rectangular shape. Spread a little margarine all over the surface of the dough, sprinkle generously with cinnamon and sugar. Roll the sheet up to make a long, log shape, then make alternate 3cm diagonal cuts like shown below.



Place the pieces onto a baking tray, long side down, and press the centre of each one firmly so that the sides push out, as such:


** Note: now what I did not do, which ultimately shapes the Korvapuusti correctly, is push the dough right in. As the dough rose my buns pushed back out of shape as I hadn’t pushed them down far enough in the centre.  According to the Korvapuusti extraordinaire (my Mum) you need to push the centre right down. Clearly mine are a bit misshapen (but not lacking in taste I might add).

Cover the tray with a tea towel and let rise again for about 30 minutes. You may need to press the centres down again once risen. Brush the Korvapuusti with combined lightly beaten egg and milk, and sprinkle with pearl sugar, or white sugar. Repeat with the other 2 portions of dough.

Bake in oven at 225oC until a nice golden brown colour for about 10-15 minutes. Do not overcook as this will make them too dry.





My Korvapuusti have a mind of their own!


** Suitable to freeze, simply pack in airtight freezer bags and when you have unexpected company warm them up in the oven for a superb last minute baked treat!


** Tip: I personally think these are best fresh out of the oven. If they have been sitting for awhile, simply warm up in the microwave for 10 seconds prior to eating, yum!


7 comments:

  1. They look fantastic.
    Even if you didn't push down enough!
    You wouldn't find me complaining - as I shovelled them in!
    Is your Mum loving your interest in Finnish fare?
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought they looked ok too! Although they aren't the 'proper' shape. Tasted fabulous though!

    My Mum loves that I have taken an interest in learning how to cook our traditional dishes. My grandmother would be very proud if she was with us. She was a real old school Finn. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic as always! Please do tell me how you can make them look so nice: maybe I've always put too little flour or just made the dough too thin when "rolling" them to make a korvapuusti? As mine NEVER look all symmetric and pretty like yours do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww thanks Kaisla! I do spend a bit of time kneading and so by the time I roll it out the dough is very elastic-like in texture. Actually as I was rolling this dough out it kept bouncing back in! And I don't roll it too thin. They aren't quite the correct shape, but still tasted delicious! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps...Obviously I have photographed the best shaped ones, there are always some munted looking ones in there! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum Peggy, my mouth is literally watering at these :o)
    I am a big fan of cinnamon and I love my dough also, so I could see myself polishing off a fair few of these delights xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. And then add the smell of freshly baked cardamom and these are an addiction waiting to happen! It is very hard to stop at one. xo

    ReplyDelete

I would REALLY love to hear your pretty thoughts. Since you're already here, why not leave me a comment?

Thank you for reading.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.