Sunday 14 August 2011

Chunky Vegetable Slow Cooker Soup



I love slow cooker Sundays. This winter my slow cooker has become a favourite, I love to crank it up in the morning before I start doing my laundry and household chores. It feels as though I have really accomplished something when I am freezing containers of soup at the end of the day. And this soup goes down a treat for work lunches with fresh bread.
Ingredients:
1 tbs olive oil
1 knob of butter
2 medium sized leeks, white part only, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
6-8 baby carrots, chopped
6-8 gourmet potatoes, chopped
410g can chopped tomatoes, undrained
125g can chickpeas
2 cups vegetable stock
Coarsely ground sea salt to taste
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
A sprinkle of ground cumin (you can omit this, I just love cumin in soups)
You can also add your choice of grains or soup pasta; lentils go well.

Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, add leek, garlic, cumin and a pinch of sea salt; fry for a few minutes until fragrant.  I like the taste of butter with leek so I throw in a knob of butter as the leek is cooking. You can omit this.
Place all ingredients except parsley into a slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours. If you are adding soup pasta, add it in the last half hour of cooking time. And don’t be too generous with the amount, it seriously expands once cooked.
I like to cook my soup on low for 5-6 hours, the smell of soup cooking on a winter Sunday is just bliss!
Add parsley once cooked and serve with fresh bread. Winter comfort!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would REALLY love to hear your pretty thoughts. Since you're already here, why not leave me a comment?

Thank you for reading.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.