Sunday 22 January 2012

BBQ prawns with dipping sauce


My hubby loves to cook, not everyday food but food that you would usually try at restaurants, he loves to experiment with new dishes. I got him Bill's Everyday Asian Cookbook by Bill Granger as a gift, and one afternoon when my nephew was around I showed him a recipe of BBQ prawns with dipping sauce. "You HAVE to make those" he declared. Ok then.

I sent hubby to the fish market, cranked up the BBQ and this is what I made. Easy peasy and oh so delicious!


Ingredients: (serves 3):
750g large prawns, heads and veins removed, shells intact
2 tbs light olive oil

Soy, chilli & garlic dipping sauce:
2 red chillies, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbs white sugar
2 tbs olive oil
3 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs chopped fresh coriander
2 tbs chopped spring onion

I saw a program recently showing how to devein prawns. It is much easier than I previously thought. I used to take the shell off and then cut the middle and scrape the vein out, but all you need to do is ease the head off gently and the vein comes out as you pull the head off. Too easy.

Toss the prawns in a bowl and coat with oil. To make the dipping sauce blend chilli, garlic and sugar to a paste. Heat oil in a small saucepan, pour hot oil over the chilli mix and stir. Add soy sauce and leave to cool. Once cool add coriander and spring onion.

Preheat a BBQ to hot with the lid down. Grill prawns for 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve the prawns with dipping sauce.

If you have a teenage nephew with a healthy appetite, I can assure this will surely impress!

12 comments:

  1. Hehe.
    Looks like they were a hit!
    You would get the same reaction here.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The epitome of the good ol' Aussie BBQ right there Shar!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:56 pm GMT+8

    Mmmm prawns on the bbq...drooling...hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very delicious Jen! Hubby and I have become quite attached to our BBQ, and as a result we are trying out new things. Today we had maron. Also another yum!

      Delete
  3. Ahh, YUM! These look terrific Peggy. I was never a big fan of prawns, until our recent holiday, when we were treated to prawns in this delightful tempura style batter, prepared by a family member who is a chef, no less. Oh my, I don't think I'll ever look back now :o) Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules prawns are the best! I love seafood, prawns, mussels and scallops would be my faves. And fish. So what I mean is I love it all! Prawns are delicious in batter, I often buy a prawn katsu bento box for my Saturday lunch (replaced chicken katsu when I started to reduce meat in my diet). Next time you treat yourself to Japanese grab the prawn katsu, very delicious!

      Delete
  4. My hub wanted that book! I might have to oblige now. Those prawns look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greer I can't say what any of the other recipes are like yet but this one impressed. There were other dipping sauces with it, although I only made the one. The images in the book all look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple and delicious! I love prawns but have never grilled them with the shells on- keeping the shells on must help them stay moist and tender. Beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they stayed very moist and tender. And you only have to grill them for 2-3 minutes each side. They are messy to peel but I think that's half the fun!

      Delete
  7. Sounds too easy. I am always a scardy cat when it comes to cooking seafood but I'm stepping out of the prawn sandwich mould and made fish cakes - from actualy fish - last weekend. They were a hit with the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, well done! I usually leave the seafood to my husband, he makes a mean Asian style grilled whole fish. This is the first time I have cooked prawns on the grill, I am getting a bit more adventurous with cooking seafood myself.

      Delete

I would REALLY love to hear your pretty thoughts. Since you're already here, why not leave me a comment?

Thank you for reading.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.